Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Quinoa Tortillas


Thank God I have an adventurous husband.

I mean, seriously. I am the kind of person who slumps over my kitchen table and sighs, "I can't eat anything on this stupid diet. It's so boooring. I miss carbs. I'd killll for some fajitas right now. Woe. Is. Me."

My husband is the kind of person who says, "We're on a weird, limited diet right now, and we're craving fajitas. Let's consult Google!" And within 5 minutes, he's got a weird recipe for quinoa tortillas.

I mean, who even knew that they made flour out of quinoa? Not me.

Of course, being the brat I am, I was extremely skeptical and sarcastic and basically said "yeah, it's a nice thought dear, but those are going to be disgusting." 

Luckily, after 6 years of being stuck with me, my adventurous husband is immune to my negativity and he made these quinoa tortillas, and then he made me some fajitas, and...you guys...they were not bad. In fact, they pretty much hit - the - spot. And we ate them the next day and the next, and we actually ate them again tonight and I don't think I want to eat anything else ever.

Best part? They are ridiculously easy to make. And I'm going to show you how:


1 cup of quinoa flour (that's keen-waaah mind you, NOT quin-oh-ahh. It just took me like, 3 years of saying it wrong before finally figuring it out.) 

1 cup of water.

1 teaspoon of salt.

Stir until thin batter forms. (You might need to add in another 1/4 of water to thin it out. You want the consistency of a thin pancake batter.)


Heat up a cast iron skillet on medium-low heat (you don't want your pan getting too hot with these - trust me!) Oil it up lightly with some olive oil. 

When the pan's nice and hot, pour 1/2 cup of batter into the pan and immediately (with pot holders!) lift the pan and shake it around to get the roundest, thinnest tortilla you can. 


Flip the tortilla when the top looks dry and the edges are starting to brown. Let cook another 2-3 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.


Mmmm, fajitas...

Now lest you get your hopes up too high, these are not exact replicas of wheat tortillas. They're not as chewy, they're almost more crepe-like. However - they have a really good flavor, they're extremely flexible and they keep nicely (once cool, store in a ziplock in the fridge.) Also, quinoa is a fantastic grain - chock full of protein,and low on the glycemic index. 

We love these and will be making them regularly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note! I'd love to hear from you!