Friday, January 4, 2013

Best of 2012 (TAG)


[my sister did this little "favorites" recap and I thought it would be fun to follow suit.]

-Beauty Favorites-

Face: 
2012 was the year I fell in love with BB Cream. I started with Garnier's since it was cheap, but gave up quickly because they only had 2 shades and the lightest was too obviously dark for my skin tone.(Girlfriend's paaale.) But then Maybelline came out with one with a wider variety of shades, so I tried again. BB creams give much lighter coverage than foundation, which was a difficult transition for me, but after using it exclusively (with a little setting powder on top) for a week, my skin's condition had improved dramatically. I mean, really dramatically. Pores shrank, redness disappeared, and I have had very minimal breakout issues since using it. I'd like to invest in a higher quality cream sometime soon, but if you want to give it a try with minimal investment I highly recommend Maybelline's. Also, last year I learned the immense value of a good primer, especially for eyes. (I use Mirabella's and highly recommend.) 


Cheeks: 
I laughed when I got a pack of these highlighter "papiers" in my last Ipsy bag because I had no idea what to do with them, but oooh my goodness, I love them! You tear out a sheet, and wipe over each cheekbone, down your nose, across your chin and forehead and get a very sheer, nice highlight. It gives your face a nice subtle "glow." 

Eyes: 
Eventually I would like to be a "big girl" and be able to wear liquid liner with confidence, but for now this Urban Decay pencil works well for me. It goes on like butter, and lasts all day. Best pencil I have ever tried (and I've tried a lot.)

Lips: 
Some swear by it, some laugh at it. I'm actually a big fan of Benetint. I like using it on my cheeks when I go for a bolder blush look, but I love it on my lips. A few light brushes and you get a nice subtle rosy color, or you can layer for a brighter red. I love products that allow versatility.

Skincare: 
Exfoliation! It makes such a difference for me. I just use a St. Ive's scrub for sensitive skin right now, but maybe 2013 will be the year I invest in a Clarisonic. (I've wanted to try one for a long time now!)

Nails: 
Every couple of months or so I become obsessed with finding the pefect shade of a certain nail color. This winter, I went on a long search for the perfect dark, dark red. Essie's "Wicked" is perfect. 

Hair:
This has been a rather bad year for my hair. It started with post partum hair loss (the worst!) and an ombre job from hell that had to be dyed over and has damaged my hair quite a lot. I tried all natural shampoo bars this summer, but ended up giving up on them because our water in WV was so hard and the recommended vinegar rinses weren't conditioning enough for my bleached out hair. So the best thing I've done for my hair this year has been trying to learn to leave it alone. I've started going longer stretches between washes which has been really helpful. I've also learned that I love the way curling with a straightener looks! 

Perfume: 
I'm still a huge fan of Chanel Coco Mademoiselle and want a bottle badly, though a friend gave me a sample of Bvlgari 'Mon Jasmine Noir and I liked it lots. 

-Fashion Favorites-

Clothing piece:
American Apparel jersey pocket skirt.

Accessory:
American Apparel jersey circle scarf. (It was the year of American Apparel for me.)

Shoes:
Flatforms. I'm still a bit obsessed. I got this pair last summer but would love to be the proud owner of a pair of Gee Wawas one day

-Randoms-

TV Show:
2012 was the year of Downton, of course. It was also the year of being ridiculously into "The Voice," "You Bet Your Life" (via Netflix) and "River Monsters." We also re-watched all three seasons of "The I.T. Crowd" for the umpteenth time. They are never not funny.

Movie:
"The Artist" was the cutest movie ever. I loved every second.

Book:
I finally read my first "Vonnegut" and was sadly underwhelmed. Disappointing, but I suppose I should try another of his books before giving up completely. I also read J.D. Salinger's short stories and loved them. I am still reading "What is the What" by Dave Eggers, and it's been the most raw, moving story I've read in years. Really good but difficult to get through quickly.

Food: 
Sweet potato.

Drink:
Iced Americano

Song:
"Harvest Moon" by Neil Young. 

Anyone else want to play along? I'd love to hear your favorites from 2012! 
  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note! I'd love to hear from you!